When QuickBooks users encounter the “QBDBMGRN Not Running on this Computer Error” it can disrupt their workflow and hinder multi-user functionality. This error message signals that the QuickBooks Database Server Manager service is not functioning correctly, preventing users from accessing their company files simultaneously.
The “QBDBMGRN Not Running on this Computer Error” primarily stems from various causes, including service failures, compatibility issues, improper hosting settings, Windows Firewall misconfigurations, incorrect QuickBooks Desktop installations, and damaged installation folders. These factors can collectively contribute to the error, leading to inconvenience and operational disruptions for QuickBooks users.
To address the “QBDBMGRN Not Running on this Computer Error,” users can employ several potential solutions. These solutions include restarting the QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service, ensuring compatibility between QuickBooks versions, configuring hosting settings for multi-user mode, reconfiguring Windows Firewall settings, performing a clean QuickBooks Desktop installation, and renaming damaged QuickBooks installation folders
For resolving this error and connecting to experts, give a call at: XXXXXXXXXX
HowFixError: Quick Fixes
- Cause: The QuickBooks Database Server Manager service has failed or is unable to connect to the internet, leading to the QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer Error.
- Solution: Resolve this issue by restarting the QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service, ensuring it’s functioning correctly and connected to the internet for seamless operations.
- Cause: Compatibility issues arise when the QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not aligned with the version of QuickBooks installed on the host system.
- Solution: Ensure compatibility by verifying that QuickBooks is correctly installed on the host system, or that only QuickBooks Database Server Manager is installed on the server or host, eliminating any version mismatches.
- Cause: When hosting settings are not configured for multi-user mode, it can trigger the QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer Server Error.
- Solution: To prevent this error, activate multi-user mode access in the hosting settings, allowing multiple users to work simultaneously without encountering the error.
- Cause: Misconfigured Windows Firewall settings can block QuickBooks from running in multi-user mode, leading to the QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer Error.
- Solution: Resolve this issue by correctly configuring Windows Firewall settings to allow QuickBooks to operate smoothly in multi-user mode.
- Cause: Incorrect or improper installation of QuickBooks Desktop can result in the QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer Error.
- Solution: To eliminate this error, perform a clean installation of QuickBooks, ensuring that it is correctly set up and configured on your system.
- Cause: Damaged QuickBooks installation folders can lead to various errors, including the QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer Error.
- Solution: Prevent data loss and resolve the error by renaming the QuickBooks installation folders, allowing QuickBooks to recreate them and function correctly.
Why do you encounter QBDBMGRN Not Running on this Computer Error?
The QBDBMGRN Not Running on this Computer Server Error mainly emerges when the update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release but forgets to update Windows Firewall along with this.
The outdated Firewall blocks access to the Internet and shows the error message when you try to repair the company file using QuickBooks File Doctor. The error prompt is as follows:
“Repair the following network problems before accessing your company file from other computers on the network *QBDBMgrN not running on this computer Server.”
There are a variety of reasons that might lead to QBDBMGRN Not Running on this Computer Server Error; some most common ones are presented here:
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service Failure/ Inability to connect to the Internet: When you cannot access QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service or find issues while connecting to the Internet, contributing to QBDBMGRN Not Responding error.
- Compatibility Issues between the QuickBooks Database Server Manager and the QB version you installed: You noticed a mismatch between the QuickBooks Database Server Manager and the QB version you’re currently using.
- Hosting Settings are not set to multi-user mode: When you forget to switch your Hosting Settings from Single to Multi-user mode, you will experience QBDBMGRN Not Running on this Computer Error.
- Windows Firewall Misconfiguration: If the Windows Firewall Settings are not properly configured, this may contribute to the QuickBooks Database Server Manager not working issue.
- Wrong or Improper QuickBooks Desktop Installation: When the QuickBooks Desktop software you installed in your system is faulty or inappropriate.
- Damaged QuickBooks Installation Folders: QuickBooks Installation Folder corruption can also end you up with the same issue.
What are the impacts of getting QBDBMGRN Not Running on this Computer Error?
You might encounter certain problems when the QuickBooks Database Server Manager service is not working properly. Let’s take a glance:
- Find difficulty in using QBW company files.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not updated, or the update is failed.
- You may observe QuickBooks Network Files-related issues.
- Unable to work in multi-user mode.
- Windows Firewall is blocking access to the QuickBooks software.
Effective Methods to Troubleshoot QBDBMGRN Not Running on this Computer Server Error!
Receiving QBDBMGRN Not Running on this Computer Error message or want to fix it as soon as possible? Alright, we have come up with various solutions that will help you to tackle the issue according to the problem you are dealing with. Let’s check them out one by one:
Case 1: When QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service is failed or unable to connect to the Internet
At this point, you need to restart QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service to avoid an unstable Internet connection. Below are the steps to do so:
- To begin with, hold and press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard.
- Now, type services.msc in the Run box and press OK.
- Once done, scroll down your cursor until you locate the QuickBooks Database Server manager service listed as either QuickBooksDB23, QuickBooksDB22, or QuickBooksDB21, where 23 stands for the 2023 version, 22 for 2022, and 21 for the 2021 QB version.
- Choose the file for QuickBooks Desktop and right-click on file to open the drop-down menu.
- After this, select the Restart option.
- Finally, try to open the QuickBooks again and check for the error status.
Case 2: When there’s a mismatch between the QuickBooks Database Server Manager you installed and the QB version
The users must install QuickBooks on the host system and ensure that only QB Database Server Manager is installed on the Server or Host. For this, here are the steps you need to perform:
Step 1: QuickBooks is installed on the Host System
- Firstly, open the QuickBooks on the Host or Server,
- Head to the File menu and choose the Open or Restore company option.
- Select the Open a company file and press the Next button.
- Search for the company file and then click on it.
- After this, choose the Open file under the Multi-user mode and press Open.
- Sign in to the company file using your username & password.
- At last, select the File and close the company file on the server.
Step 2: Only QBDBMGRN Install on the Server or Host
- The initial step is to open the Windows Start menu.
- Now, navigate to the Control Panel on your system.
- Select the Administrative Tools and then click twice on the Services option.
- Afterward, right-click on the correct database server manager, which includes:
- QuickBooksDB23(QuickBooks 2023)
- QuickBooksDB22(QuickBooks 2022)
- QuickBooksDB21(QuickBooks 2021)
- Restart your system and repeat the steps depending on the setup.
Case 3: When Hosting Settings are not switched from Single to Multi-User Mode
You must check for multiple host computers, stop hosting on all workstations, and verify that the hosting settings are set to multi-user mode. Let’s adhere to the following steps:
- For this, open QuickBooks
- Now, choose Utilities from the File menu.
- If the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option starts displaying on the menu, click on it and then press Yes to confirm.
- However, if Host Multi-User Access appears on the menu, continue to the next step.
- Later, shut down QuickBooks.
- Repeat the same steps on all workstations that do not host the company file.
- In the end, launch QuickBooks and try to perform your ongoing task.
Case 4: When Windows Firewall Settings are improperly configured
Windows Firewall settings, if not configured properly, can hamper every single operation on Windows. Here’s how to re-configure Windows Firewall settings so QuickBooks can run in multi-user mode.
Step 1: Include Firewall port exception for QuickBooks
If you’re using multiple QuickBooks Desktop versions on the same computer, implement the following steps for each version.
- Head to the Windows Start menu.
- Now, type “Windows Firewall” into the search box and open Windows Firewall Settings.
- Select Firewall Advanced options from the left sidebar.
- Under Advanced Settings, you get the inbound and outbound rules.
- After this, hit right-click on Inbound Rules and then choose the New Rule option.
- Click on Port in the New Rule window and then press Next.
- Next, be sure that TCP is selected.
- Enter the particular ports in the Specific local ports field required for the QuickBooks year version you are currently using:
- Enter 8019, XXXXX for QuickBooks Desktop 2020 and later.
- Type 8019, XXXXX for QuickBooks Desktop 2019.
- Enter 8019, 56728, 55378-55382 for QuickBooks Desktop 2018.
- Type 8019, 56727, 55373-55377 for QuickBooks Desktop 2017.
QuickBooks Desktop 2021, 2022, and later versions use dynamic ports. Here’s how to get a dynamic port number:
- Once you write down the port number, press Next.
- Choose Allow the Connection and then hit the Next tab.
- If you’re prompted, ensure all profiles are marked. Click Next again.
- Create a rule and name it “QBPorts(year).”
- When all set, select Finish.
- Re-perform the same steps to create outbound rules.
Step 2: Create Windows firewall exceptions for QuickBooks programs
QuickBooks uses executable files (.exe) to perform various tasks. Perform these steps to create exceptions for each executable on the table:
- Navigate to the Windows Start menu, enter Windows Firewall into the search bar, and open Windows Firewall.
- Choose Advanced Settings.
- Hit right-click on Inbound Rules and then hit the New Rule tab.
- Select Program and then press Next.
- Afterward, choose This Program Path and then click Browse.
- Locate and select any one executable file from the table listed below. Then click Next.
- Moving ahead, choose Allow the Connection and then hit Next.
- If prompted, you need to review that all profiles are marked. Later on, press the Next button.
- Create a rule and name it “QBFirewallException(name.exe)”.
- And lastly, repeat the same steps to create outbound rules.
Here’s a list of some executable files along with their locations:
|IntuitSyncManager.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Sync|
|QBCFMonitorService.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|AutoBackupExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBW32.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBLaunch.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|OnlineBackup.exe||C:\Program Files\QuickBooks Online Backup|
|FileManagement.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
Once done, open QuickBooks Desktop and try switching to multi-user mode.
Case 5: When QuickBooks Installation is wrong or inappropriate
To avoid faulty QB installation, you need to perform a clean installation in QuickBooks using the clean install tool. Below are the instructions you need to carry out for this:
Step 1: Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
- First, hold and press the Windows + R keys to open the Run command.
- Enter the Control Panel into the search bar and then hit the Enter key.
- Select Programs and Features and click on Uninstall a Program option.
- After this, choose the QuickBooks Desktop you wish to remove from the list of programs.
- Click on Uninstall/Change, Remove, then press the Next button.
Note: If you don’t get this option on your screen, sign out and sign back into Windows as an Admin.
- The last step is following the on-screen prompts to complete the uninstallation process.
Step 2: Make Use of the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool for Windows
- To start, download the QuickBooks Tools Hub from the official website of Intuit.
- Now, go to the location where you save the downloaded file, then click twice on the file to begin the installation process.
- You need to perform the on-screen steps to Install the Program.
- Select the option ‘I Accept’ to complete the installation process and launch the QuickBooks Tool Hub from the Desktop.
- After this, hit the Installation Issues tab and choose Clean Install Tool from here.
- Go for the QuickBooks Desktop Version installed earlier and then click Continue.
- After a moment, the following message will start displaying on the screen: ‘Please Install your copy of QuickBooks to the default location’.
- Later, press the OK button when you’re ready.
Step 3: Reinstall QuickBooks on your System
- In the beginning, open the file QuickBooks.exe.
- Now, follow all the on-screen instructions, accept the software license agreement, and press Next.
- You must enter your product and license numbers. Then, hit the Next tab at the end.
Case 6: When QuickBooks Installation Folders are corrupted or damaged
Renaming your QuickBooks Installation Folders is the only way to fix any kind of corruption in them. Here’s how:
- In the first place, remove QuickBooks again.
- Next, follow the steps to display hidden files.
- Open the Windows Start menu and look for “File Explorer”, then open the same.
- After this, locate and open the folder where your QuickBooks company files are stored. Here’s the folder locations:
- C:\Users\(current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- 64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- Hit right-click on the folder and then choose Rename.
- You must add the word “.old” at the end of the folder name. This will prevent QuickBooks from opening it when you reinstall.
- And lastly, reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
If you get an error message “Access Denied” while trying to Rename folders:
- Click right on the Windows Taskbar, then choose Task Manager.
- Navigate to the Processes tab and opt for the Name column header to sort the list alphabetically.
- Once done, hit the following processes QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFMonitorService.exe, Qbw32.exe, and then select End Process for each.
- Press Yes when this error message appears, “WARNING: Terminating a process can cause undesired results…”
- When you’re ready, download and install the QuickBooks Desktop from scratch.
Hopefully, the solutions mentioned above are enough to rectify QBDBMGRN Not Running on this Computer Issue, and now you don’t have to deal with the problem anymore.
However, if the error continues to bother you and you fail to determine the reason for the same, immediately contact our customer service executives and let us assist you with the most appropriate solution.
What causes QBDBMGRN Not Running on my Computer Server?
There are multiple reasons that give rise to QBDBMGRN Not Running on my Computer Error, such as QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service Failure, wrong or Improper QuickBooks Desktop Installation, compatibility Issues between the QuickBooks Database Server Manager and the QB version you installed, Windows Firewall Misconfiguration or damaged QuickBooks Network files, etc.
Can QBDBMGRN Not Running on This Computer Error be fixed manually?
Yes, you can manually rectify the QBDBMGRN Not Running on This Computer Error by following the steps described below:
- Firstly, download the QuickBooks file doctor tool and then install the same on the system.
- Now, let the tool check your network connection so that you can resolve the error with much more ease.
- If the hosting mode has been turned off, then turn it on. Else, the software won’t be able to open the company file.
- After this, set up access permissions in Windows.
- Allow permissions in Windows and make the folder shareable.
- The final step is to run ipconfig, when network connectivity issues are present.
What to do if QBDBMGRN Not Running on This Computer Error occurs due to having issues with Network Files?
The .ND and .TLG files are the most essential part of your QuickBooks files. These configuration files allow QuickBooks to access a company file on a shared network or multi-user environment. If these files are damaged or corrupted, you’ll notice errors when you access your QuickBooks files. Renaming these files is the best way to prevent sudden data loss. For this, open the folder that holds your company file. Locate the files with the same file name as your company files but with .ND and .TLG. extensions For example, Company_file.qbw.nd/ company_file.qbw.tlg. Then, hit right-click on each file and choose the Rename option. Add the word .OLD at the end of the file name like company_file.qbw.nd.OLD. After this:
- Reopen QuickBooks.
- Try to log in to your company file.
- Check if the Network files error has been resolved or not.