If you’re encountering the ‘QuickBooks Subscription has Lapsed‘ error, don’t fret – you’re not alone. When you get the subscription lapsed error, your access to QuickBooks services and features has been temporarily suspended due to an unpaid subscription.
You’ll need to renew your subscription by making the necessary payment to resolve this. Once that’s done, you should regain full access to your QuickBooks account.
But sometimes, this may be caused by other reasons too. In this guide, we’ll explore the common reasons for this error and provide practical solutions to get your QuickBooks subscription back on track.
What Is the QuickBooks Subscription Has Lapsed Error?
Subscribing to QuickBooks grants users a temporary license to access the software. However, at times, QuickBooks encounters authentication issues, resulting in the ‘QuickBooks Subscription Has Lapsed’ error. When this error occurs, your ability to use QuickBooks is temporarily stopped.
The error message will ask you to either connect your computer to the internet or update your credit card details.
While the error message suggests updating your credit card information and checking your internet connection as potential solutions, these steps may not resolve the issue for everyone. In such cases, additional troubleshooting is necessary.
To tackle this error effectively, it’s essential to understand the potential reasons that trigger this message.
Reasons For the QuickBooks Subscription Lapsed Error
The main reason why users get the subscription lapsed error is the expiration of their QuickBooks Desktop subscription.
Here are the various other factors that may trigger this error:
Network Connectivity Issues
This error may have occurred due to problems with your internet connection or router configuration. If there are network connectivity problems, QuickBooks may struggle to confirm the validity of your subscription, leading to a lapse in service.
Discontinued QuickBooks Version
If Intuit has discontinued the version of QuickBooks Desktop you’re using, it can result in a subscription lapse error. When QuickBooks discontinues a particular version, it means they no longer provide updates, patches, or technical support for that version. It can make your software vulnerable to compatibility issues and security risks.
Outdated Payment Information
If the credit card or payment method associated with your account is outdated or no longer valid, QuickBooks cannot complete the renewal process.
If QuickBooks Desktop is not installed correctly, it may not function as intended. Some essential components may be missing or improperly configured, leading to software errors, including subscription-related issues.
Damaged Product and License Information
QuickBooks routinely verifies the product and license information to ensure that your software is legitimate and up to date. If the product or license data is corrupted or damaged, it may not pass this verification process, resulting in a subscription lapse.
System Requirements for QuickBooks to Work Without Trouble
To run QuickBooks Desktop smoothly, you’ll need:
- 64-bit Windows operating system
- 2.4 GHz processor
- At least 8 GB of RAM (1-5 users)
- Minimum of 2.5 GB of disk space
Consider upgrading to the latest QuickBooks version or improving your internet connection to improve performance.
Tip: Prevent excessive use of system resources when using QuickBooks Desktop. Running multiple resource-intensive applications simultaneously can impact performance and potentially lead to errors.
Additional Issues with QuickBooks Subscription Lapse Error
When you see the message about QuickBooks licenses being discontinued, a few problems may pop up:
- You can’t update QuickBooks Desktop or payroll.
- Users can’t get the latest tax tables.
- Accessing your QB Desktop account becomes tricky.
- Opening or viewing company data might need a subscription reactivation, even though the company file stays on your device.
- Journal entries may act up.
- You might run into QuickBooks issues like missing PDF components or QuickBooks Error 3371 with Status Code 11118.
These problems with your QuickBooks Desktop Pro subscription can be quite a hassle. So, it’s crucial to troubleshoot effectively to fix these issues.
Precautions To Take Before Resolving the Issue
Before getting into resolving the QuickBooks subscription lapse error, it’s essential to take some precautions:
- Make sure you have a recent backup of your QuickBooks company file.
- Make sure you have a stable and active internet connection. Many QuickBooks processes, including subscription verification, require internet access. A reliable connection can prevent interruptions during troubleshooting.
- Make sure you are using the latest version of QuickBooks. Often, updating the software can resolve known issues. Check for updates before proceeding with troubleshooting.
- Verify your subscription details, including payment status, renewal dates, and the accuracy of the information provided.
- Ensure you are logged into QuickBooks as an administrator.
HFE.com: Quick Fixes
Problem: Network Connectivity Issues
Solution: To address connectivity issues, check your internet connection first. Then, you can configure QuickBooks Desktop’s internet settings and confirm accurate system time & date. If you have installed multiple QuickBooks versions, update all of them and check firewall and security settings.
Problem: Discontinued QuickBooks Version
Solution: Go to the Help tab in QuickBooks, select “Update QuickBooks Desktop,” ensure necessary options are checked, download updates, restart QuickBooks, and confirm the installation.
Problem: Outdated Payment Information
Solution: Update your payment details for QuickBooks Desktop subscription by logging into CAMPS and editing billing information. Then, sync the license data from the ‘Help’ menu to resolve the subscription lapse error and ensure compatibility.
Problem: Installation Errors
Solution: Download and install the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from the official Intuit website via QuickBooks Tool Hub. Then, open the Tool Hub and run the Install Diagnostic Tool to fix installation problems.
Problem: Damaged Product and License Information
Solution: Try restoring the product and license file in QuickBooks Desktop. Close QuickBooks, delete the “entitlementdatastore.ecml” file in the specified folder, reopen QuickBooks and your Company file, and re-register it with your product and license information.
How To Troubleshoot and Fix QuickBooks Desktop Subscription Has Lapsed Error?
Here are a few quick solutions for QuickBooks Desktop subscription has lapsed error.
Method 1: Update Billing Information
If you’ve made changes to your business accounts or credit cards recently, you must update your payment details to manage your QuickBooks Desktop subscription effectively. Here’s how:
- First, log in to the Customer Account Management Portal (CAMPS) as an admin user.
- In the ‘Products and Services’ section, find ‘QuickBooks Desktop.’
- Navigate to the ‘Billing Information’ section and click ‘Edit.’
- Update your payment details, then hit ‘Save and Close.’
- Now, open your QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Go to the ‘Help’ menu and go to ‘Manage My License.’
- Click on ‘Sync License Data Online.’
Following these steps and updating your billing information can resolve the QuickBooks subscription lapse error. Always keep your software up to date, as outdated applications can lead to compatibility issues and errors.
Method 2: Update QuickBooks to Its Latest Release
Having an outdated QuickBooks is a common trigger for various errors, including issues with subscription verification.
Installing the latest QuickBooks updates not only fixes general application problems but also resolves the QuickBooks Desktop “no subscription” error, enhancing speed and performance.
Follow these steps:
- Launch QuickBooks and go to the Help tab in the menu bar.
- Select “Update QuickBooks Desktop,” which will open the Update QuickBooks window.
- Ensure that Essentials, New Features, Maintenance Releases, Help, and Accountant options are checked in the Update Now tab.
- Click “Get Updates.” Once the updates are downloaded, restart QuickBooks.
- When prompted for permission to install the updates, click “Install Now.”
After the updates are installed, open QuickBooks and access your company file. Check if the QuickBooks Desktop “no subscription” error is resolved.
If you continue encountering subscription issues, proceed to the next troubleshooting method.
Method 3: Restore the Product and License File
If troubleshooting your internet connection settings hasn’t resolved the issue, you can attempt to restore the product and license file. QuickBooks Desktop stores a file containing product and license information on your hard drive. You can restore this file by following these steps:
- Begin by closing QuickBooks Desktop.
- Ensure QuickBooks Desktop is completely closed.
- Open the Windows Start menu and type “Run”.
- In the Run window, type “C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8” and press Enter. If this doesn’t open a folder, try “C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement client\v6” instead.
- Locate the “entitlementdatastore.ecml” file, right-click it, and choose “Delete.” Confirm the deletion by selecting “Yes.”
- Now, reopen QuickBooks and your Company file.
Follow the on-screen instructions to re-register QuickBooks with your product and license information.
Method 4: Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
The QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool is built to address installation errors that can sometimes impede QuickBooks from verifying your subscription. To resolve the “QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2023 no subscription” issue, follow these steps:
Here’s how you can access and use the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool via the Tool Hub:
- Go to the official Intuit website and look for the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Once you locate it, click the link and save the file to your computer.
- After the download, return to the location where you saved the file. Find the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file, which is the installation executable.
- Double-click this file and follow the on-screen prompts to ensure a successful installation. Agree to the terms and conditions and any other modifications required for the app to function correctly.
- Once the installation and setup are complete, you can begin using the Tool Hub.
Here’s how to access the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool:
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Navigate to the “Installation Issues” tab within the Tool Hub.
- You’ll find the Install Diagnostic Tool here. Click on it and allow it to resolve any installation problems.
Method 5: Check Internet Connectivity and Settings
Here’s how you can verify and adjust your internet connection settings.
Step 1: Check Your Internet Connection Settings
Make sure you have a good reliable internet connection for successful updates. Test its stability by opening your browser and accessing a banking website. If the website loads, proceed with the following steps:
- Go to the Help menu in QuickBooks Desktop and select “Internet Connection Setup.”
- Choose “Use my computer’s internet connection settings to establish a connection when this application accesses the internet.”
- Click “Next.”
- Proceed with the QuickBooks subscription renewal by accessing “Advanced Connection Settings.”
- Go to “Advanced tab” and click “Restore Advanced Settings.”
- Click “OK” and then “Done.”
- Try updating QuickBooks Desktop to see if the error persists.
While configuring these settings, keep the following in mind:
- Disable download accelerators if you use them, as they can interfere with updates.
- If you’re using a dial-up connection, ensure the minimum connection speed is set to 28.8 kilobits per second.
Step 2: Manage Your System’s Time and Date Settings
- Right-click on your desktop system clock.
- Choose “Adjust Date/Time.”
- Select “Change Date/Time” and enter the correct date and time. Confirm these settings by clicking “OK” twice.
- Return to your QuickBooks application and check if the subscription lapse error still appears.
Step 3: Update Multiple QuickBooks Desktop Versions
If there are multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop installed on your device, update each manually and verify if the error is resolved.
Step 4: Check Firewall and Security Settings
This error message may occur due to firewall and security settings blocking internet connections.
- Enable ports 80 and 443 and grant access to specific files in QuickBooks.
- Change the settings to allow access to the specified files and ports.
- After making these adjustments, check if the subscription lapse error is resolved.
Method 6: Reset Internet Explorer
If you encounter the need to cancel your QuickBooks Desktop subscription, consider resetting Internet Explorer settings with the following steps:
- Open Internet Explorer on your computer and access the Tools menu. You can display this menu by pressing the Alt key on your keyboard.
- Choose “Internet options.”
- Navigate to the Advanced section and select the “Reset” or “Restore Defaults” option.
- Click “Apply” and then “OK.”
Method 7: Temporarily Disable Firewall Settings
When facing the QuickBooks subscription error, you can consider temporarily disabling your firewall and antivirus applications.
Here’s how to disable the antivirus software:
- Locate the icon of your third-party antivirus application in the system tray.
- Right-click on the antivirus icon and select the “Disable” option.
It’s important to note that you should have the necessary permission to change your antivirus application.
If you cannot disable the antivirus app directly, check the user guide or website for instructions on temporarily disabling or configuring the software.
After disabling the firewall and antivirus software, install QuickBooks Desktop and perform the necessary updates.
Method 8: Create a New Windows Admin User
It’s helpful to create a new Windows Admin user to troubleshoot the subscription error or when attempting to cancel your QuickBooks Desktop subscription.
Here are the steps to create a new Windows Admin user:
- Go to “Start”, then select Settings.
- Choose “Accounts,” followed by “Family and other users.”
- Select “Add Account” next to “Add another user.”
- Click on “I don’t have this person’s sign-in info.” On the next page, opt to “Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Enter the username, password, and a password hint. Select security questions, then click “Next.”
- Set this local user account as an administrator. This may resolve the subscription-related issue with QuickBooks.
- Go to Start > Settings > Account.
- Choose the account username under “Family & other users.” Then, click “Change Account Type.”
- Then click “Administrator” under the account type and click “OK.”
- Sign in again using the new administrator account.
Method 9: Reinstall QuickBooks in Selective Startup
If you’re wondering how to cancel your QuickBooks Desktop subscription, follow these steps. Reinstalling QuickBooks in selective startup mode can help resolve any current errors. Here’s what to do:
- Ensure you have a backup of your company file.
- Keep the product and license information for your QuickBooks version accessible.
- Switch to selective startup mode by opening the Run Window (Windows + R).
- Type “msconfig” and press Enter.
- In the General tab, switch to selective startup and click “Load system services.”
- Then go to the services tab and click on “Hide all Microsoft services.”
- Click “Disable all.”
- Deselect “Hide all Microsoft Services” and choose “Windows Installer.”
- Click “OK” and restart the system from the System Configuration window.
- Uninstall and reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Return to normal mode by typing “msconfig” in the Run window (Windows + R).
- Click on “Normal Startup” in the General tab.
- Click “OK” and restart your device from the System Configuration window.
It’s crucial to stay patient and methodical when dealing with QuickBooks subscription-related issues or software-related challenges. Follow the provided solutions carefully, and if the problem persists, you can always contact QuickBooks customer support for assistance.