When you open your QuickBooks desktop application, there are numerous options for companies that you can select from. It will also include your current company. However, there will be some companies in your QuickBooks database that are no longer in business or you don’t manage the company anymore. In that case, you need to delete the company from your QuickBooks database as this will only result in confusion and conflicts in other data. It depends on whether you want to delete or remove the company or want to keep it. But, it is advisable that you should delete the company in QuickBooks if you no longer have access to the company data from the last 24 months.
Delete a Company in QuickBooks in Desktop
Sometimes, when you have to delete a company, you need to first delete the company files associated with that company. When you open the company, it will display the whole list of the company files that are stored in that company. Follow the steps to delete the company files in QuickBooks:
- Go to the ‘File’ menu.
- After that, click on the ‘Open or Restore Company’ option.
- Move to the file for deleting.
- Select the ‘Open’ option.
- Press the keys ‘Ctrl + 1’ or simply press the ‘F2’ key. This will open the file information.
- Copy the file location.
- Close the QuickBooks application and go to the file location.
- Right-click on the file.
- Select the ‘Delete’ option.
- You will see a confirmation message, click ‘Ok’ on that.
- Repeat the process for all the company files.
Also Read: How To Delete QuickBooks Account?
Remove a Company in QuickBooks Online
- Open your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Choose the company that you no longer use or has access to.
- Select the ‘Edit or Remove User’s Access’ option.
- Choose your user’s name.
- Click on the ‘Remove Access’ option.
- Select the ‘Ok’ option to successfully remove your access from that company.
- Right-click and chose the ‘Hide’ option to hide the company that still displays on your QuickBooks screen.
Hide Company Files in QuickBooks
Sometimes, you don’t want to delete the company files of a specific company but you don’t want it to display on your screen either. In that case, you can hide your company files and unhide them wherever you need them. Make sure to remove your access from the company. As a result, you will not be able to access the company files of that company. Follow the below-given steps to hide company files in QuickBooks:
- Navigate to the ‘File’ menu.
- Click on the ‘Restore or Open Company’ option.
- Select to open the company file.
- Click on the ‘Next’ option.
- This will open a window where all the company files will open.
- Under the ‘Open’ option, choose the ‘Edit’ option.
- The Edit window will now appear on your screen.
- Place a check-mark next to the company file that you want to hide from your QuickBooks screen.
- Click on the ‘Ok’ option to hide the company file.
- Repeat the same process to hide other significant company files.
Remove Company Files from QuickBooks Mac
Deleting company files is different in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows, QuickBooks Online, and QuickBooks Mac version. The procedure for deleting QuickBooks files for desktop and online versions has been explained above. Below-given are the steps to delete company files in the QuickBooks Mac version:
- Go to the ‘Help’ menu.
- Choose the ‘Product Information’ window.
- Open the company file that you need to delete.
- In the file location, hold the company file that you want to delete and drag the file into the ‘Trash Bin’ column.
- Repeat the process for all the other company file that needs to be deleted.
- After that, move to the ‘Trash Bin’ column.
- If you want to permanently delete these files, click on the ‘Delete Permanently’ option.
- A confirmation message will pop up on your screen asking if you really want to delete these files, click on the ‘Yes’ option.
The above blog is based on the information regarding How to Delete a Company in QuickBooks. If you are facing any trouble in following the above steps, you can contact the QuickBooks Error Support experts via live chat support.
Read More Related Articles: