Sometimes, business owners or accountants add similar customer names that have similar transactions. In some cases, accountants mistakenly add the same customer, and the books will show the same customer name but with separate transactions. This will create chaos and confusion in the books of records. Some accountants will delete the transaction permanently, but this will make the situation worse. As you delete the transaction, this will affect the other transaction with similar customer details. In rare cases, the other transaction could also be deleted. So, to fix this situation, you should merge customers in QuickBooks accounts. In this blog, we will describe the steps to merge Customers in QuickBooks.
Why Should You Merge Customers in QuickBooks?
There is no other option to fix the same customer details situation yet. Hopefully, QuickBooks will introduce some other options in its later versions. But right now, you are required to merge the customers in QuickBooks to fix the similar customer details. Also, some users will delete the transactions, hoping that this will solve this problem.
This is a Big No in the QuickBooks world. You should either talk to the customer support of the QuickBooks software or solve it manually. If you do not merge the same customers, you may have to face problems in tax payments, and books will reflect the confusion to the business owners. So, it is advisable to merge the same customers that are displaying in QuickBooks Records.
Things to Remember Before You Merge Customers in QuickBooks
There are certain things that you should do before you merge customers in QuickBooks:
- If you are using the Multi-User mode in QuickBooks, immediately switch it to the single-user mode to merge customers.
- Make sure to Create a backup of all your company files. This will prevent data damage or any other loss.
- If the multi-currency option is turned-on, turn-off it to merge the customers in QuickBooks.
- Update QuickBooks application to its latest version. This will remove any technical glitches that can occur in merging the customers in QuickBooks.
Steps to Merge Customers in QuickBooks
Below are the steps that help you in merging customers in QuickBooks:
Before merging customers, you need to merge accounts in QuickBooks
- Navigate to your QuickBooks dashboard.
- Select the ‘Charts of Accounts’ menu.
- Copy the name of the account that you want to keep in your books of records.
- Choose the accounts that you want to merge.
- After that, right-click on the account.
- Choose the ‘Edit’ option.
- Paste the copied name of the account.
- Click on the ‘Save and Close’ option.
- A confirmation message will flash on your screen asking if you really want to merge the accounts.
- Click on the ‘Yes’ button.
Also Read: How to create QuickBooks Journal Entry?
Merge Customers in QuickBooks
- Go to the location where you have stored all your company files.
- From the top, choose the ‘Customer’ tab.
- This will open a separate dialog box.
- You have to make sure that the customer has the same name and details.
- Now, you need to set the level of the customer.
- Move to the ‘User’ tab.
- In the settings, you will find the option of ‘Submenu’.
- Navigate to the ‘Level’ tab.
- Set the level of the customer.
- You will see the profile of the stored customers.
- You have to select the customers whom you don’t need details anymore.
- Instead of deleting the details, you should copy and save them somewhere else for the future.
- After that, you are required to make some changes in the details of the customer.
- Click on the ‘Edit’ option and this will open the editing window on your computer screen.
- You need to make changes in the name of the customers. Type the exact same name as the account name that you are going to merge with.
- Click on the ‘Save’ button.
- Now, your screen will flash a confirmation message box that will ask you if you really want to merge two accounts in QuickBooks.
- Click on the ‘Yes’ option and your accounts are successfully merged in QuickBooks.
Also Read: Merge QuickBooks Vendors in QuickBooks
To Sum Up:
This article is based on the details regarding How to Merge Customers in QuickBooks. If you get into any trouble or issue with QuickBooks, you can reach out to the QuickBooks Error Support experts on this number: +1(860) 544-6044.