The 6000 series errors usually fall into the category of company file related errors. So do the QuickBooks Error 6189. When this error occurs, QuickBooks users find themselves unable to access and open the company files that are saved in the QuickBooks database.
In most cases, the QuickBooks users don’t hold the specific permissions that are required to open or accessing the QuickBooks files. So, talk to the owner of the company file and ask them to grant you permission to access the company files. This error can also occur when you are accessing the company files on a multi-user network.
Quick Fix to the QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816
Even though Intuit is incredible software to use for day-to-day business activities. It may sometimes fall prone to errors such as the QuickBooks error 6189 1005. We understand that errors in QuickBooks Software arise because of several reasons such as an operating system update which may cause drivers and ports to reset themselves, among other reasons. However, luckily for you, the solution to both such messages is the same. So you don’t need to worry about anything. But, before you should understand why these errors take place.
Also Read: QuickBooks Error 15240 Payroll Update
Signs and Symptoms of the QuickBooks Error 6189
The following are the major symptoms of the QuickBooks Error 6189:
- Your QuickBooks application will display an error message that has an error code mentioned like this: “QuickBooks Error 6189 occurred: Unable to retrieve your company files. We’re sorry for the inconvenience.”
- The windows programs that are currently active will suddenly crash down.
- Your QuickBooks application will freeze for a couple of minutes within a fixed interval of time.
- Your computer screen will display a blank screen on your desktop screen.
- The error messages will continuously flash on your QuickBooks screen whenever you try to open your company files.
- You can also experience the QuickBooks Error 6189, 816 on your computer screen.
Causes Behind the QB Error 6189 1005 (or 816)
The QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 (or 1005) usually occurs when users try to open a file that is a mass shared by the system administrator and can be very frustrating for users who are urgently trying to do some work. There are many reasons behind this, such as using different transaction logs.
Transaction log files are usually represented by the extension .TLG and it is very important that the transaction log you’re trying to access is up to date. If you use an older version of a QuickBooks transaction log then you will encounter the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 as the system is unable to open the older file since it no longer follows the protocols that used to be used with an older version of Intuit. So, what do you then? The solution is actually quite simple.
Things to Keep in Mind Before Solving the QuickBooks Error 6189
Below are the things that you should remember before you solve the QuickBooks error 6189:
- Make sure that you have downloaded an accurate and virus-free company file in your system. Always download the company file with the .qbw file extension at the end of the file name.
- Check that you have the proper and required permission to access the company files. As sometimes, the owner might not have shared the company file with you over the network.
- Your company file should not have any other file extension such as .qbb, .qbm, or .qbx.
- Check that the firewall settings are accurate in terms of QuickBooks. If you see that a restriction is placed on QuickBooks, immediately disable it.
- Your QuickBooks application must be of the recent and newer version. By newer version, it means QuickBooks version 2019 and later. This will helps in avoiding various minor errors that happen in QuickBooks.
- Moreover, make sure that your windows are also of recent version.
Also Read: QuickBooks Error 6190
Solution to Fix the QuickBooks error 6189
Follow these steps to relieve yourself from the QuickBooks error 6189.
Solution: Download QuickBooks Tools Hub on your computer
QuickBooks Tools Hub is an application tool that is launched to provide QuickBooks users with various repair tools in one single application. In other words, all the repair tools that are offered by QuickBooks, are available in this application. So, the users are not required to download each repair tool for different errors. Following are the steps that help you to download and run this application tool:
1: Go to the QuickBooks Tools Hub official site.
2: Now, you will see the download button to download this tool.
3: After that, you need to install this tool.
4: Your screen will display a license agreement.
5: Read it carefully and click on the ‘I Agree’ button.
6: Choose the location where you store this tool.
7: This will start the installation process.
8: Open the tool.
9: Select the ‘QuickBooks Database Server Manager’ tool in the ‘Installation Issues’ menu bar.
10: Run the tool and your error will be resolved completely.
Below are the solutions that help in solving the QuickBooks error 6189:
1: Download the QuickBooks Doctor File Tool and install it. Then, manually proceed to fix the QB error 6189.
2: Rename the log file and then go to your computer window which can be down by pressing the keys Win + E.
3: You will then go to the folder that has your company fie and finds the transaction file. It will be the same as your company file but with the extension .TLG.
4: Rename this log file to something along the line of OLD.tlg.
5: Now, open QuickBooks.
6: The software should have a newer version of the transaction log file created which you will be able to access easily.
If you are unable to fix QuickBooks error 6189 then you may contact QuickBooks Error helpline number to get instant help.
Read more Related Article:-