How to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Error 15242?
Have you encountered Error 15242: The payroll update did not complete successfully. The QuickBooks FCS is not responding or damaged”? Need an immediate solution? If yes, then you have landed on the right platform. This error generally occurs when payroll is not completely installed, or QuickBooks FCS (File Copy Service) is not responding or may be damaged. After receiving several requests from QB users, we have finally come up with a comprehensive guide that comprises of several troubleshooting solutions to get rid of QuickBooks Payroll error 15242.
Ultimate QuickBooks Payroll Error 15242 Troubleshooting Solutions
QuickBooks Payroll error 15242 is a very common payroll update error, which usually crops up when a user attempts to run payroll updates in QuickBooks. Once the error message appears on the screen, the users will not be able to download and install the latest update released by Intuit. Here we have mentioned different error fixing methods, which are easy to implement.
Solution 1: Verify the Subscription of Payroll
This is the first solution in the list, which is highly proven and recommended by QuickBooks Pro advisor. Users need to follow the steps carefully to get rid of QuickBooks Payroll error 15242.
- Launch the QuickBooks Application and go to the “Employees tab.”
- Under the “Employees tab,” choose the option “My Payroll Services.”
- Further, click on “Manage Service Key.”
- Now click on “View” to check the status of your service key. Ensure that it is Active.
- If you found status as Not Active, then click on “Add” and enter the service key that you have received through email.
- Click on the “OK” button and rerun the application.
- Further, run the payroll updates once again to check if the error has been resolved.
If the troubleshooting mentioned above method didn’t work, and the error message is still coming back, then try installing the application in selective startup mode.
Solution 2: Install in Selective Startup
To make this solution work, ensure that you follow each step carefully without skipping. The majority of the QuickBooks expert implement this method to troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 15242.
- Launch the Payroll application to start the process.
- Now go to the “Employees” tab and select the “My Payroll Service.”
- Go to the “Account Information” and click to select.
- Log into your Intuit Account manually.
- Further, check the QuickBooks Payroll Account Maintenance page if the payroll subscription is verified.
- Now check if the Internet Explorer is set as your default browser.
- In the next step, disable your “User Account Control” temporarily.
- Now choose “Repair QuickBooks Desktop.”
- Make your final selection of Selective Startup to clean the installation process.
Run the payroll update once again, and if the issue persists, then it may be possible that your system is infected or damaged.
Solution 3: Try running the update on any other system
In many cases, QB errors occur because of the system you are using to run the application, specifically when you attempt to run the updates. So, it is recommended to switch your system if possible to check if this error is appearing on one desktop or every other system. For assistance, you can connect with QuickBooks experts anytime around the clock.
After shifting your QuickBooks desktop application to another system, if the error is still coming back, then it may be possible you are not configuring the latest version of payroll. In the next solution, we have mentioned steps to install the latest version of payroll.
Also Read:- QuickBooks Error 6000 -832
Solution 4: Download the latest version of payroll
Follow the steps carefully without skipping, as this solution has worked in many cases and turned out to be fruitful in eradicating QuickBooks Error code 15242. Ensure that the payroll update you are installing is correspondence with the QB application.
- Launch the QuickBooks Application on your system. Please log-in into your computer as an administrator.
- Go to the Help tab and look for Update QuickBooks.
- Now click to select “Update QuickBooks.”
- Under “Update QuickBooks”, click on “Reset Updates”.
- Further, click on Get Updates.
- Now run the payroll updates and check if the error persists.
When you are attempting to install the latest version of payroll, if you are still getting QuickBooks Payroll Error 15242, then it may be possible any third party security application, or windows firewall is restricting QuickBooks to perform. In the next solution, we would show you how to allow QuickBooks in Firewall settings.
Solution 5: Ensure the Firewall Setting is not Restricting the QuickBooks Update Process
Implement each step carefully and run the updates once again to check if the error still appears on the screen.
- Press window key on your keyboard or click on the window icon on the lower-left corner of your screen to open the start menu.
- Type in “Windows Firewall” in the search bar.
- You will be shown a few options to choose from based on your search inputs.
- Click on the “Windows Firewall” option to select.
- On the “control panel home” window, click on the link “Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall.”
- Now look for QuickBooks Application under “Allowed Programs and Feature.”
- Further, check the box and click on the “OK” button.
- In case you don’t find QuickBooks application in the list, then click on the “Allow another program” link.
- Further, click to select the QuickBooks application and click on “Add.”
- Now go back to QuickBooks Application and run the payroll updates once again.
Are you still encountering error code 15242? If yes, then try restoring your computer to its normal configuration, as it will make favorable conditions for QB to process.
Solution 6: Restore Your Computer to Its Normal Configuration
Follow the steps without skipping and eradicate QuickBooks Payroll error 15242.
- Press Windows+R together on your keyboard to open the run window
- Type in MSConfig in the search bar.
- Click on the “OK” button or hit the “Enter” key.
- “System Configuration” window will show up on your screen.
- Here click to select the “General tab.”
- Further, select “Normal Startup” and click on “OK.”
- Now click on “restart.”
Hope you find the troubleshooting mentioned above solutions helpful, and you were able to eliminate QuickBooks Payroll error 15242. In case you were unable to get rid of the issue, and the error message is still cropping up on the screen, then we suggest you connect with authorized QuickBooks Error Support +1(860) 544-6044 to avail prompt assistance.