Error 0xc0000142 is an application error, which usually occurs on computers using Windows OS. This error is one of the common error which affects the core Windows application on a computer. It can occur on any Windows OS version. This error appears on the screen with a message stating, “The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the Application.”
Causes behind this Application Error
One of the most common reason due to which this problem arises is corrupt or damaged files, which are very important for the proper functioning of some applications. Many people have reported about facing this error while using “Command prompt,” which is a Disk operating system (DOS) emulator program.
However, if you are also among those users who are dealing with this issue, then fret not! Read this complete guide, and you would be able to resolve this problem quickly.
How to Fix Application Error 0xc0000142?
There are some common ways by which you would be able to fix this problem quickly. Follow the steps one by one and check if the problem is solved.
Method 1: Reboot Your PC
One of the most common ways to solve this issue is rebooting your system. This method sounds normal, but it mostly works.
- Close all the running programs on the PC.
- Click on the Start icon in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Click on the power button in the bottom left corner and select “restart.”
- After the restart, check if the error is still causing the problem. In case the problem persists, then try other methods.
Method 2: Reinstall the Application
Sometimes, some application cause problems due to the lost files. So, you can reinstall the Application to fix this error.
- Press the “Windows + R” keys and type “control panel” in the search field.
- Now, click on OK to enter the “Control panel” window.
- Click on “Uninstall a Program” option available right below the “Programs” option.
- After that, right-click on the Application causing the problem and click on “Uninstall.”
- Wait until the installation process finishes.
- After that, go to the folder where you have saved the application files.
- Double-click on the “.exe” file to initiate the install process.
- Follow all the appropriate on-screen instruction to complete the reinstall process.
- Launch the app and check if the problem is solved.
Method 3: Run Windows Troubleshooter process
You can use Troubleshooter, and it will automatically figure out the bugs and fix them. Follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key and click on the gear icon representing “Windows Settings.”
- Now, select “Update & Security” option and click on “Troubleshoot” option. It will start the troubleshooting process. Let the process finish and check if the problem persists.
Method 4: Run an SFC scan
Start a System file checker scan to detect and remove any corrupt file available on the system.
- Start “Run” by pressing “Windows + R” keys.
- Enter “sfc /scannow” in the appeared window and click on OK.
It will start the SFC scan process. Wait until the scan process finishes.
Method 5: Check the compatibility of the Application
Sometimes, application cause problems because of the incompatibility. So, you can make some changes in the application properties to resolve the issue.
- Right-click on the Application and click on “Properties” in pop-up options.
- Move your cursor to the “compatibility” tab and left-click on it.
- Make changes in the compatibility according to your system.
- Click on Apply and OK.
Hope this blog would help you to fix the Application Error 0xc0000142 on your computer. If you face any issue while following the steps, then contact Windows Customer Support +1-855-260-9904 number to get instant help.